First Holy Communion
First Holy Communion
The Eucharist, or Holy Communion, is another sacrament of initiation and can be received daily if desired. It is the central rite of Catholic worship. A baptized child's First Communion is usually celebrated around age eight. During the mass the priest consecrates bread and wine, the elements of the Eucharist, which are transubstantiated into the body and blood of Christ. As a memorial of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross and in a reflection of his Last Supper with his disciples, the congregation then shares in the sacred meal.
First Holy Communion is traditionally celebrated in the spring of 3rd grade year. Two years of formal instruction in the faith is required. Both children and parents participate in the immediate preparation of this sacrament. Youth who are beyond third grade and have not celebrated this sacrament are required to be enrolled in the religious education program and will also participate in preparation for their First Communion. Please contact the Religious Education Office.
First Holy Communion Update September - 2020
We have been working to put together a list of guidelines that we would like to follow to support the health and safety of everyone during our celebrations of First Holy Communion.
We hope this list helps us all enjoy a safe and happy celebration on your child’s First Holy Communion Day.
- We will be adding an additional date on September 12th for the Sacrament of First Holy Communion.
On September 12th there will be two sessions 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. at St. Barnabas Church.
On September 19th there will be two sessions 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. at St. Barnabas Church.
- On September 5th starting at 11:00 a.m. at St. Therese Parish Center Fr. Santiago will be hearing the children’s confessions. All receiving children will need to attend.
- All families have been mailed a letter with an updated date, and time that they have been scheduled to receive First Holy Communion.
- Unfortunately, we will not have the students come together for a First Holy Communion workshop. Instead kits with fun faith filled activities are being prepared for the children to work on at home. These kits will be available for pick up on a table outside of the building at our parish center at St. Therese, the week of August 17th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. your child’s name will be on their kit.
- Each child will be assigned a pew during the ceremony. We ask that each family limit their guests to 5 people in their assigned pew. Your child will sit at the beginning of the pew next to the center aisle.
- We will not be meeting for rehearsals. I will be calling everyone to go over the details of that day the week before.
- All in attendance will need to wear masks including the child receiving First Holy Communion.
- I will assist the children when it is time for them to receive. Please be assured that if I am allowed, I will be tested for the COVID 19 two days prior to the 12th and 19th of September.
- We have set up a Facebook group called St. Elizabeth of the Trinity Faith Formation. You can request to join the group. We are also starting a separate website for just Faith Formation at our parish. This website will have all current information regarding religious education and the celebration of our sacraments.
- There will be pictures taken of each child as they are receiving. More information will be given to our families about pictures as the time gets closer.